I believe that everyone should have a quick go to appetizer. Ideally it is one that you either have or keep the ingredients in your house most of the time. I have two that I think are perfect.
The first one should bring back memories if you grew up in the 70’s. My dad used to make this all the time. I loved it then and recently heard a news piece about it and it took me right back. Bear with me if the ingredients sound odd. Just make it and try it. I think you will like it. You will definitely have the ingredients on hand. It is one you can put together quickly if guest stop by.
The second appetizer is one that is always impressive but is super easy and comes together quickly. It’s also an easy one to keep all, or most of the ingredients in your pantry. Aside from the cheese, the other ingredients are shelf stable.
Parmesan Onion Toast
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup FINELY Chopped Sweet Onion
- 1 Tbs. Milk
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning You can really use any seasoning that you have on hand.
- 1 tsp. Prepared Cream Horseradish, optional
- 1 Baguette, sliced in 1/2" pieces and toasted lightly
- Preheat broiler. You can use a toaster oven set on broiler.Combine all ingredients, except bread, and spread evenly on toasted pieces of baguette.
- Layer prepared toast on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper or foil. Broil about 4 inches from broiler, about 2 to 3 minutes, until golden and bubbly. You can sprinkle a little extra Parmesan on top if you'd like.Serve immediately.
Baked Brie with Cherry Balsamic Reduction
- 1 13-oz jar Bonne Maman Cherry Preserves
- 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. White Pepper
- 1/4 cup Toasted, Chopped Pecans use lots
- 1 8-oz. wheel Brie Cheese Goat cheese works too
- Whole Grain Cracker, for serving
- In a small saucepan, over a low medium flame, reduce balasamic by half. You want it thick.Stir in Cherry Preserves and cook until preserves are melted.Stir in salt & pepper.
- Meanwhile, bake Brie, on a lined baking sheet, at 350° for 12-15 minutes. It should be soft and warm but hold its shape. Arrange Brie on serving platter surrounded by crackers. Pour about half of the cherry preserves over the top and sprinkle with toasted pecans. You can serve the additional cherry preserves in a dish on the side. It happens to be great with salami dipped in it.