Today is #NationalChocolateCakeDay ! It’s the perfect holiday and great reason to make a heavenly chocolate cake. Enjoy my go to recipe!
Really Good Chocolate Cake
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 4-oz. bar unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
Milk Chocolate Frosting
- 3 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 8 ounces milk chocolate candy bars melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and Flour three 9" round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine the unsweetened chocolate and cocoa powder. Heat the water and butter in a pot over medium heat until butter is melted but water is simmering not boiling.
- Pour hot liquid over chocolate and cocoa mixture and stir to combine and melted and smooth.
- Add the sugar and mix to combine. Make sure chocolate mixture has cooled then add the eggs, one at a time and use a hand mixer to just combine. Add vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture alternating with the buttermilk, finish with the flour, being sure to scrape down the sides. Don’t over mix.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake 20-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes, then invert and cool on rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and slowly add the sugar. Be sure to scrape down the sides. Drizzle in melted, cooled chocolate until evenly combined
- Frost each layer with about ¾ cup frosting and between each layer. Use remaining frosting to frost whole outer cake.
- Melt additional chocolate candy bars and drizzle over the top of frosted cake for decoration.