I am so very fortunate to live in Southern California, where we get fresh strawberries year round. But even here, those summer series are special
Our season is peaking for the next few weeks and I am fully taking advantage of it. Those dark red berries on the inside and out are super sweet and bursting with flavor.
I love to eat them straight from the basket and I love pairing them with other flavors. Just last night I saw an instagram post about a mozzarella and pomegranate seed salad. It was lightly dressed with fresh mint, olive oil, wine vinegar and a little salt. I can’t help but think my version made with strawberries is going to be so fresh. The perfect summer salad.
You all know, I love pound cake too. So I thought I’d fold some strawberries into a pound cake batter. They really added a whole other level of moisture. For the glaze I went for a strawberry lemonade taste.
I made a standard glaze with confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice, but then added some strawberry jam that I had melted. It gave the glaze a wonderful speckled pink color and the flavor was the perfect blend of sweet and tart. A great summer cake to take along or have on your counter.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family did. Be sure to send me comments and post pictures of your version.
Fresh Strawberry Pound Cake
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 4 Large Eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 2 pints Fresh Strawberries, washed and chopped into bite-sized pieces.
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 cups Granulated White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Confectioners' Sugar, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Strawberry Jam, heated to make thinner
- Preheat oven to 375° with rack in middle of oven.Grease and flour a large bundt pan, set aside.
- Whisk together, flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, in a medium bowl. Set aside.In the bowl of a stand-up mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This will take 3-5 minutes on medium.Add eggs, on at a time.Add in the vanilla.
- Turn mixer to low and add the dry ingredients, alternating with the sour cream, in three additions. Start and finish with dry ingredients. Remember to not overwork the batter. Mix only until just combined.
- Fold the strawberries in, gently.I like to use a scopp to put the batter into the pan. It is a thick batter and I find this gives a more even fill. Then smooth top.Bake in preheated oven for 55-65 minutes, A cake tester should come out with just a few moist crumbs.Let cool, in pan, on rack for 30 minutes. Turn out and then let cool comoletely, before frosting.
- You can make the glaze while the cake is cooling.Whisk lemon juice into sifted confectioners sugar. Be patient. It may take a minute to come together.Once it does start to come together, whisk in melted strawberry jam.Whisk until smooth. Pour over cooled cake and serve.